Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Look at Avalyn's Progress!

So I just wanted to blog on some of Avalyn's 'things' now, before I forgot. *Note, this is a long post without a lot of pictures! :)

Since being on break, like, the Saturday beginning break (Dec. 19), Avalyn has begun to nap better than she ever has (knock on wood!). I don't know if it's just because she's been with me and Bran full-time now for almost 2 weeks, or what, but man, I hope it stays around! She was becoming a chronic 45min-1hr napper, which makes it hard to stretch her schedule to anything more than 3 hours. Now, however, she's been taking 1 hr, 30 min - 2 hr naps daily!! Meaning, at least one, if not 2 naps are at least 1.5 hrs!! YAY!! This is actually more typical and expected for her age. So, she is beginning to push her schedule out to 3.5/4hrs now during the day, taking 3 naps and eating 4-5 times a day.

Here is a sample schedule:
7:00am - wake up, feed, light play/waketime (songs, books, swing, tummy time)
8:40 - nap (she has a smaller waketime window in the a.m.)
10:30/11 - wake up, feed, solids, playtime (activity mat, exersaucer, tummy time, sitting up, toys)
12:45/1:00 - nap
2:30 -wake up, feed, waketime (same activity as previous waketime)
4:30 - nap
5:30/6:00 - wake up, feed, solids, waketime (light - books, snuggles/body play with Mom/Dad)
6:45 - get ready for bed (sometimes bath), daily picture/jammies on
7:00 - light feeding/snack
7:15 - Bedtime!

So, she's doing very well!!! She's taking to eating solids better and better each day, but still not eating a whole lot - no worries, she'll get there! Next week we're going to go to three times a day with solids. So, after her breakfast feed, lunch feed, and dinner.. to resemble an adult schedule.

She goes down for naps like a champ - I put her down, give her a kiss and tell her I love her and that I'll see her when she wakes up. She smiles at me, I walk away and close the door, and she turns and sucks her thumb to sleep! What a good little girl! Her night sleep is just as good - I put her down for bed, she smiles up at me, I tell her I'll see her in the morning (etc.) and I walk away. She's sleeping more soundly at night now - no more waking and playing for a little bit, then back to sleep. UNLESS we have had to move her after she's been put down for bed (i.e., went to sleep at Grandma's, then we had to go home and put her down again - woke up to put in car seat, slept in car, woke up to be put in bed). She wakes up a couple times in the night and talks to herself for like, 5 mins, then back to sleep. So, it's just not as sound of a sleep or continuous, but she doesn't need me or food to go back to sleep, so it's ok either way.

Her tummy time is improving, and I've noticed that she moves/scoots around better when she's just in a diaper, or in her crib. I think she can grip better, so she tends to move around more. Still only rolling from belly to back, but that's ok. As far as sitting up, if I put her in a sitting position in front of me (on the floor) with the boppy behind her back and kinda on her sides, she'll flop back when she's tired, and then lean forward to 'sit up' when she's ready. She'll grab toys that are on/near her feet and bring them to her mouth, and go from sitting to laying back as she pleases. But I think she's just getting her muscles ready to sit up with more control, as she's leaning forward to sit up on her own more - like, without me constantly pulling/pushing her forward to sit up. Progress!

Nursing can still be a little bit of a struggle. She starts off well - chugging it down - then after her first burp session, she resists going back on, and arches her back and turns her head 180 degrees! Especially if she's distracted by Brandon or the dogs or the light.. but I think it's just her telling me that she got enough, switch sides, or she's all done! I think she's just more efficient at eating, so I need to let that go and not "force" her to eat!! She obviously doesn't want it, and I think she will eat if she's really hungry.

I'm really trying to do more of the signs with her while we're doing activities (I have a book called "Babytalk" by Monica Beyer, that describes the signing process and a bunch of signs, if you're interested in purchasing/renting a copy for yourself for whatever reason). So, before we eat I'll sign "eat" and "milk" - so does Brandon when he feeds her solids. He also does "more" and "eat" during the solid feeding. I've also been doing "all done" and of course, "Mommy" and "Daddy". Those are the high frequency signs that can communicate a lot right now, so I think we'll just stick to those for awhile until she's really 'ready' to sign and sign more. They say to introduce them now, WHILE STILL SAYING THE WORD, and by 6 or 7 months, she may start to sign back. At first it will be just spontaneous signs that might not really mean what they're supposed to, but then after that she'll really pick it up and start signing away! As long as we're consistent, other people use it (who see her frequently), and use it at the same time as the regular verbal word, she'll pck it up! I really can't wait - so excited to see her communicating! I know she wants to say so much - she does anyways, especially during feedings and on the changing table - I can't wait for her to 'talk' to get her needs met.

Otherwise, I think that's about it. I just needed to write these things down before I forgot or it got too late.. I know it's a long post (not over yet!) but this stuff is helpful for my benefit of journaling things.

This week is the last of 2009!! On Tuesday we went out to IKEA to get some storage supplies for Avalyn's stuff. I'm in the process of using my xmas money to convert the formal living room into her playroom, but make it still look presentable as a living space. So I got this nice cubby system with baskets for all her toys and books to be put in, instead of on the floor. I need to get some new curtains and pillows, and maybe an ottoman that has storage in it, and then move out the fireplace accessories and side table, and it will be nice and babyproof! We have some time for that, as she's not crawling yet, but it'll be here before you know it! So, that's my latest project!




Wednesday Bran and I went out to Bushnell to Tony's land (Bran's hunting buddy) to go hunting for wild boar, turkey, or a buck. We saw about 15 turkeys when we were walking up to the shoothouse to stake out, but they flew away pretty quick. Just about 5:30, we saw a little doe creep up to the feeder and hang around for a bit, but that was about it. So, overall unsuccessful 'hunting', but a nice experience for the two of us to get out and do something together. Avalyn was at my parent's house playing with Grandma and Grandpa!  Tonight is New Year's Eve and we'll be heading over to Shawn and Dena's house for a bit of the early evening, then heading home probably around 8 or 9 to be in for the night. Ryan and Kelly Santurri welcomed their second baby girl, Gemma Elizabeth, on Tuesday morning, and they'll be there with her for everyone to meet as well!  Tomorrow we're heading out to New Symrna Beach to visit with Emme and Jeremy for the day, and that will conclude the last day of our 2 week vacation (besides the weekend). Wow, how it went by fast! Bran goes back to work on Monday, I'll be going up to Leu Gardens for storytime on Monday, and then back to work for me on Tuesday!

Happy New Year!!!

1 comment:

  1. I like that organizer! How much was it, if you don't mind sharing?? :)

    Kacy

    ReplyDelete