So, I took Avalyn to the doctor this morning, because I'm paranoid, and thought she may have an ear infection because she has 'found her ears' and started tugging/playing with them more frequently. So, just to ease my own anxiety about it (b/c I would feel awful if I didn't address it and it got worse) even though she seems completely fine otherwise, I took her in. She looks great, weighs 17 lbs., 1 oz!! What a pork-chop! Her 6 month well visit is Feb 8th and will get her shots then and the complete work-up (they can't do sick/well at the same time - insurance blah blah). But I was able to see Dr. Franz this time (instead of one of her associates) and we sat and talked a bit about Ava, solids, shots, whatever.. and she wrote out a different shot schedule for her. She basically stretched it out even more, stating that you really don't need to load her up with all these shots so soon if her immune system is good - she won't 'catch' any of these illnesses if exposed.. she'll be fine for preschool by 2 or 3 yrs old, but there's just no need for more than 2 shots at a time... she actually put her on a schedule of 1 shot at a time now. She's so great! I got her some more herbal tea that boosts the immune system, and helps to guard against various illnesses.
One of my other concerns for her was that all of a sudden she started to spit up a lot. This morning she spit up 6 times (a lot) during our morning feed - very abnormal for her. Nana said that yesterday she spit up a lot too, so this started to concern me, since she rarely spits up, especially that much fluid. Now, there are some coincidental changes this week too though that could contribute to the ear pulling and spit up. 1) I got the swine flu shot on Friday. This could affect the taste /quality of my milk that's making her spit up. Dr. Franz suggested the tea at this time, just to guard her against anything that may have transmitted. 2) We ran out of our normal rice cereal we've been using. I had some rice cereal of a different brand our friends gave us, so we used that Monday night and Tuesday, but she didn't seem to like it - different consistency and probably taste. 3) We started Butternut Squash on Sunday, so that could be a protest/spit up too... 4) Dr. Franz says she's teething. No teeth poking through yet, but the gums are soft and bumpy, meaning they're in the process of coming through - at some point :) 5) All of the above. SOOO, you can see it may be a lot of different things causing the spit up or ear rubbing. BUT, she looks great, continues to eat and sleep well, and is gaining weight just fine. Pheww... sigh of relief :)
Oh, and today, she made a really good "Muh" sound, and is going crazy with her "Buh" sound!! Not quite saying them in succession yet (Buhbuhbuh..), but she's getting quicker to produce the next "Buh" - it's soo cute to hear her say them - very clear and you can tell she's working so hard to produce them and try to 'talk'!
Yesterday I was playing with her on the floor - she was on her tummy - and I realized that she rolls primarily to her left. She lifts her right arm, leans to the left, and rolls. OR, that's how she grabs things - with her right arm because she can lean and lift it up. So, I started putting her favorite toy (a Baby Einstein teether/crinkly book) to her left, so she had to figure out how to get it. She was looking and looking at it, then finally had to do a 'superman' position to get that left arm free of bearing weight and grab the book. She hasn't figured out how to just lean on the right side, like she does the left. I kept doing this over and over to see if she got quicker or thought of a different way to get it, and she did. She leaned to the left, reached with her right arm (at the air) but it turned her body a little bit to the left. So she kept doing this until she scooted around and the book was in front of her, and she grabbed it with her right arm! Way to problem solve Avalyn! haha - too cute!
We're going to go and visit Bran after she wakes up from her nap. And then I have a Psychologist meeting today at 2pm, so my mom is coming over to watch Avalyn while I'm gone for those 2 hours or so.
Happy Wednesday!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment